The electric distribution unit was established in the early 1900's and comprised a single diesel generating unit with local downtown distribution loads. In the 1920's the City began purchasing wholesale power, and the electric distribution unit has been expanded and maintained by the City with assistance from contractors and engineering consultants as required. The current electric distribution unit comprises two 12.5-kV substations, approximately 172 miles of primary distribution lines and related assets.
The City's electric service area comprises all property within the City limits. The only other providers of electric service in the County are Blue Ridge Electric Cooperative and Duke Energy.